Sunday, February 20, 2011

Grand Expectations 命运建筑师之远大前程

If you have been following Edward Lam Dance Theatre's "Urban Trilogy" theatre series, you won't be surprised that this year's Chinese Huayi Festival of Arts 2011 would have the last part of the triolgy in its schedule.

As the title reveals, its centers around the lives of urbanites. 

I have watched the first part "Design for Living", which depicts the skills of survival in present days.
Every episode would have a guest star usually a Taiwanese drama idol. So for the first part, they had Joe Chang, which was an excellent choice as the show was presented close to the period where the popular drama series It Started with a Kiss 2 was aired. The show was made lighted hearted and humorous because of him. And of cos with veteren Slyvia Chang as the lead, whats there to complain about.

And for PART 2, "Man and Woman.War and Peace" traces the cultural roots that laid the foundations of gender roles, which I missed it last year, oh man...

And Part III "Grand Expectations" tells stories of fortune and future.

Sypnosis 
This is a story about three young urbanites, apt representatives of their generation. This is a story about the pursuit of happiness, fortune and other grand expectations, true to the spirit of the times.

Baby (played by Lin Sin Jie) is a sweet young thing waiting for Prince Charming. Little Devil is a guy who wants to be ‘Somebody’. Both are “acting” partners, hired by companies to pose as a happy couple at marketing events. Their superb acting could move one to tears yet they really detest each other.

Moses is an architect climbing his way to the top. A suave man-of-the-world, he is at the property launch of his latest project when he notices a “pregnant” Baby and her young entrepreneur “husband”, Little Devil, in the midst of another brilliant performance, their “enthusiasm” rubbing off on the unwitting launch attendees.

He finds himself inexplicably attracted to Baby. He likes the way she looks, pregnant. He likes her uninhibited way of expressing herself.

He likes her so much that he makes her an offer she doesn’t refuse… an offer that ultimately leads all three to an unforeseeable future…



They only had 3 performance spread over 2 days during Chinese New Year, so me and my friends made sure we had our day kept free from any visitation to pai nian.

I was a little disappointed this time as I had high expectations for the show, I mean the title speaks for itself -" GRAND EXPECTATION". I was expecting much more since I was impressed with the first one. Despite havng Lin Sin Jie, a Golden Horse Award Actress, and David Wang, a familiar face in all 3 parts, the show failed to lift to its peak. I actually kind of fell asleep at some point, okay I admit, it could be the heavy lunch I ate before, muhahahaha. Maybe because I was expecting a little more humor, but I guessed it was a little more solemn since they have asked Lin Sin Jie this time, a serious actress known to choose films that are either fantasy, horror or thriller movies. She has no doubt displayed great acting, but the script was a little mundane and draggy at some points. I liked the 2 jesters in particular, I laughed the most whenever they appear.

It was overall alright for me, but not a closure that I was looking for.

Ratings:


Have to backtrack abit as I wanted to present the show first.
Went with my 2 close friends to watch the show. It was like a yearly event that we set on our calendar. Only with them will I turn completely Taiwanese. Haha. My lousy Chinese will spring out and Taiwanese accent. I LOVE TAIWAN. I went there like 4 times that one year, and still misses it like crazy.

We went to MOF to eat, haha coincidentally the exact same place we ate to watch the PART 1.





My delicious Stone pot of rice with beef, with additional sauce to add flavor. A good pick. Its quite similar to Pepper Lunch concept. The meat was nice and tender.


Sini with her yummy ramen.

Yanyi, my most "Taiwantrified" friend, who just returned from Taiwan with exciting and mind blowing stories.



I cant help but take a photo of the "hu" cos its really cute. hehe. like my very own teapot. 




We were on a tight budget, and I just spent a bomb on Jolin Tsai upcoming concert for a Cat A or B seat, cant remember. So I could only afford the cheaper tickets. hehe. Though I usually go for a Cat A-B seat for plays.


















Watching the play with my close friends was one of my favourite part of the CNY.


Love, Ariel 




No comments:

Post a Comment