Sunday, January 16, 2011

Movies worth watching this season

I am pretty much hyped about what is worth watching this season, not sure about you but the films seems to be garnering much publicity recently. In case you didn't notice, its because the 83rd Oscars nomination is around the corner ( 25 January 2011).

Here are my picks to watch.

(1) The Black Swan
This is one film I am very sure to be nominated, its none other than the The Black Swan.
A psychological thriller film with its plot revolves around a production of Swan Lake by a prestigious New York City ballet company. The production requires a ballerina to play both the innocent White Swan and the sensual Black Swan. One dancer, Nina (Natalie Portman), is a perfect fit for the White Swan, while Lily (Kunis) has a personality that matches the Black Swan. When the two compete for the parts, Nina finds a dark side to herself.



So why the hype?
- Had its world premiere as the opening film at the 67th Venice film Festival on September 1, 2010.
- Received a standing ovation, commented by Variety, "one of the strongest Venice openers in recent memory".
BFI London Film Festival, nominated for Best Film
- over 8 million viewers for just its trailer.
- and many others favorable feedback and nominations that is too much for me to write in my post, you just have to google and a widespread of info could be found.

I, without a doubt, would be watching this much anticipated film.

 (2) Conviction 


The trailer basically gives away what are the highlights in storyline, but you can still look out for how the journey goes. If the trailer touches you, I bet the storyline would make you go reaching for tissues. I actually teared when watching the trailer. Cant help but reminds me of "My Sister's Keepers" and "Erin Brockovich". A mixed of siblings love and finding justice for a vulnerable character.


So why the hype?
- its based on a true life story.
-Acted by strong actors
Academy Award Winner - Hillary Swank
Academy Award Nominee - Minnie Driver
Academy Award Nominee - Melissa Leo
Academy Award Nominee - Juliette Lewis
Outstanding performance by Sam Rockwell

I am not so sure if Hillary Swank has a shot at the Oscar with this film, seems quite similar to the former winner Sandra Bullock with the film The Blind Side. And if she does gets nominated, its a tough fight with Natalie Portman, The Black Swan. Well, maybe Hillary jie jie, who has won 2 Oscar, can give way to Natalie mei mei a chance.

(3) Centurion




I, a lover of all war epic from ancient times.
Whats there not to like? The muscular men showing off their masculinity not just from their well-defined abs, muscular arms and raggered look that screams "I am manly" and their sense of security and loyalty to their army when they shout in the face of their enemies, " I will not yield!" Its such a treat to the eyes for the ladies. Okay maybe just me la.

Of cos I will not deny the existence of the beautiful women in the film. I loved their make up and the new style of warrior costumes that Hollywood is moving forward to, instead of the usual tight fitting, squeezing the boobs to highest and closest they can to each other. Finally, costumes that brings out the innate warrior instinct, we women, possess too.

So why the hype?
- Muscle men
- Beautiful women (sorry guys, mostly women in warrior outift, nothing fantasy or magical like Gemma Arterton in Prince of Persia of Clash of Titans).
- based on a true story but I think its much exaggerated and some facts have been changed. So don't treat it like your history channel, like "duh"? 

(4) 127 Hours



The film tells the true story of mountain climber Aron Ralston's remarkable adventure to save himself after a fallen boulder crashes on his arm and traps him in an isolated canyon.

So why the hype?
- Directed by Academy Award winner, Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire)
- Based on a true story
- Captivating storyline
- Won and nominated for many awards that I really have no space for me to put it here man!
- Gaining much recognition for not just the Director, film, Lead Actor by James Franco, musical score, cinematography and editing.

Its definitely not to be missed!

That's all for my picks for now. Will be posting up a local production soon. Look out for it. Nope I not acting in it la.

No comments:

Post a Comment